When you look back at past hardships, can you see how they prepared you for the obstacles you’re facing today? Although we can’t usually see it in the moment, difficult times prepare you for your future self and give you the lessons you need to grow.
My guest today is an expert on taking lessons from difficult situations to create a spark in the dark. She uses hardship to learn more about herself, her emotions, and how to be compassionate. These lessons, in turn, help her become a better leader.
I’m talking with my friend and leadership coach, Joanna Chmura, about the power of listening to your inner wisdom and having the courage to act on it. We are all culturally programmed to beat the crap out of ourselves and to self-sabotage. In Joanna’s work, she explores what happens when we embrace vulnerability, awareness, and courage.
Psst… I have a new Dare to Lead™ program that’s based on Brené Brown’s research. We start November 5th. Apply now!
Our inner wisdom is constantly sending us data in the form of emotions. When we analyze that inner data, we become more aware of what’s going on inside. This brings us more freedom than we could ever imagine. And that freedom allows us to be more compassionate leaders.
In today’s episode, Joanna and I discuss how Covid has impacted us and the ways this pandemic has led us to become more compassionate, curious, and confident. We explore the power of leadership when the mind and heart are combined. From the importance of developing compassion to making space for crying and action, we cover it all. If you’re ready to tune into your inner wisdom and become a true role model for your people, friends, this episode is for you.
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- How Joanna has been handling COVID fatigue.
- Why kids are great teachers on how to move on after mistakes.
- The importance of showing your team when you’re scared.
- How Joanna’s rescue dog taught her self-compassion.
- Why it’s so important for leaders to develop the skill of compassion.
- Why being compassionate doesn’t mean sacrificing success.
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Apply to my new courage building program: Dare to Lead™, based on the research of Brené Brown.
- Joanna Chmura Website | Instagram | Facebook | LinkedIn | YouTube
- Todd Kashdan: What it Means to Be Mentally Healthy + Successful
- The Upside of Your Dark Side by Todd Kashdan
- Yes to Life by Viktor Frankl
- The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
- The Invisible Solder [DEEP DIVE]
- Evict the squatters in your brain [DEEP DIVE]
- Mindset Journal
- Get my on-demand virtual workshop on Trusting Yourself!
- Sign up for my new course: How to Feel Grounded Confidence
- Sign up here to receive Friday Podcast updates, Sunday Love letters, and Wisdom Wednesdays.