We’ve been culturally programmed to pursue the promise.
If I do X, then Y will occur.
- If you are a good girl, you’ll have a good life.
- If you’re highly educated, you + your family will be safe.
- If you’re perfect, you’ll finally be good enough.
- If you’re good enough, you’ll find a life partner.
- If you’re promoted, you’ll finally enjoy your work.
If only you can get to the promise in a nice step-by-step linear path, without making mistakes or having any problems.
You can have a good life, create a “safe” place for you and your family, be enough, find a life partner, and yes … enjoy your work.
However it’s not a step-by-step, “no mistakes” making journey.
There will be problems. Or rather, shit shows along the way.
There will be heartache.
You will make mistakes.
Embrace these moments.
They are your teacher.
You will have growth.
You will come out the other side.
The pathway to your Promise is through the heartaches.
It’s supposed to happen.
Don’t argue with yourself.
Don’t indulge in it.
Learn from it and keep moving forward.
One day, you’ll pick up your head and notice the heartache is no longer … and you are living the dream you had desired.