We’ve all experienced loss and grief and shame at some point in our lives. We’ve all made mistakes and failed. For some of you, those negative experiences were enough to convince you to stop trying. To lose hope. To say, “Why bother?”
My guest today answers that question with her own life experiences. You may be familiar with Jen Louden as she is one of the pioneers of the personal growth movement and the concept of self-care. She has sat on Oprah’s couch, written numerous bestselling books, and she even used to co-host this podcast with me.
As Jen points out, our brains function like there is an endpoint, an arrival that we just have to work hard enough and move fast enough to achieve. But with this mindset, we miss out on the freedom and joy of letting go. And, we miss out on cherishing the frustrations and negative moments that come with being human.
When you’re always making plans and moving onto the next goal, you don’t pay attention to the minimums you need to simply stay sane. You miss out on experiencing the moments happening all around you as you focus on making another transaction.
Today I’m chatting with my friend and self-care revolutionary Jen Louden about why we give up on ourselves and fall into the “Why Bother?” mindset. She’s sharing all about her new book, the process of writing it, and why she loves this piece of work the most. As achievers, it’s hard for us to slow down and stop planning. But when we do, we get to experience the freedom and joy that can come with uncertainty. I hope you enjoy this fantastic conversation and that it gives you the permission you need to be here for it all.
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- Why Jen wrote Why Bother?
- Why creatives can fall into a transactional mindset with their work.
- How your lifespan is affected by believing it’s too late for you.
- The importance of letting go of what was and accepting what is.
- That more is always available, no matter your age.
- How Jen practices self-reflection.
- The meaning behind Jen’s potential tattoo.
- How Why Bother? is the pathway to hope.
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Jen Louden Website | Book | Facebook | Instagram
- Why Bother? By Jennifer Louden
- Previous episodes with Jen Louden
- Grab your spot in my live virtual workshop on Trusting Yourself!
- Sign up for my new course: How to Feel Grounded Confidence
- Sign up here to receive Friday Podcast updates, Sunday Love letters, and Wisdom Wednesdays.