Mentally preparing how you think your friends and loved ones should act is a natural thing, but when we don’t tell people what we want, we can end up frustrated and disappointed. We are holding others to expectations that they cannot possibly meet – writing scripts for the players in our life. These scripts we write for ourselves and others can be really harmful to our relationships.
By creating these scripts without telling others what we expect from them, we are not communicating in a way that leads to deeper, authentic relationships with others or ourselves.
Having open communication about what we need from others is the key to having stronger relationships. It allows others to understand our expectations in a way that is manageable.
What are the scripts that you have for others? Do you use these scripts as a test?
When we find ourselves frustrated with the actions of those we love, it is important to ask ourselves whether or not we expect them to pass or fail our scripts as proof of how they really feel about us. By identifying what expectations are out there, we can figure out how to communicate our needs to others.
This episode is meant to break you out of those old scripts so you can have healthier relationships with yourself and others. I’ll share how we can dispatch with these scripts so we can be more of ourselves and let others be themselves in return. I’ll talk about how you can get rid of those expectations, how to deal with the scripts of other people, and what you can get out of freeing yourself of scripts.
Your voice matters! Make sure you subscribe to the show and leave a review in Apple Podcasts. Tell me what you love and why you’re here and maybe you’ll hear a shoutout to YOU in a future episode!
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- How we create scripts for those we love
- Why it is so important to communicate your needs
- Questions to ask if you feel let down by someone not meeting your expectations
- How we change how we act to accommodate other people’s scripts
- Ways we can leave scripts behind and be more ourselves
- How your relationships can improve when you become more yourself and allow others to be themselves
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Sign up here to receive podcast updates, Sunday Love letters, and Wisdom Wednesdays.
- Download your free MINDSET PRACTICE workbook HERE (includes Feelings Menu)
- Sign up for my WISDOM WEDNESDAY email so you don’t miss an episode!
- Come join me for a live Mindset Workshop on September 20th! We’ll be exploring a four-step process for managing your mindset so you can unlock the life you really desire.
- Connect with me on Instagram!
- Join our Facebook community