We’ve been culturally programmed to believe that being perfect will make us safe. Valued. Successful. Loved.
Perfection isn’t the source of any of those feelings. It’s an enemy of them.
Chasing perfection is exhausting. It’s the birthplace of shame, and instead of making you feel valued, loved, or successful, it will put you under constant pressure to be someone you’re not.
None of us are perfect. But we use perfection as armor that we think will protect us from failure, rejection, and disappointment.
That armor is heavy, and it prevents us from being our true selves. Accepting yourself and your story is key to not only loving yourself, but to allowing other people to love you, too.
In this episode, I’m talking about the ways perfectionism can sneak up on you. I share some of my own encounters with perfectionism and how I bring attention, compassion, and acceptance to those moments so I can stop getting hung up on being perfect. And I give you some tips for gently steering yourself away from perfectionism and toward who you really are, so you can calm down and put down your armor.
Like what you hear? I have some great news for you: the new ENOUGH group registration is open. Sign up for a consult to find out how ENOUGH can change your life.
Do you want to take what you’ve learned from this episode to the next level? Check out my ENOUGH coaching program. Together, we combine the concepts and lessons from this show with coaching to go way beyond intellectual learning. You’ll learn to silence critical internal voices that tell you you’re not enough, integrate self-love into your everyday life, and build resilience against shame and other difficult experiences. The next group begins in May 2019 – join me and create your most badass self!
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- What we think we’re promising ourselves when we try to be perfect
- Why it’s so exhausting trying to be perfect
- Some of the sneaky code words we use to hide our perfectionism from ourselves
- Key things to remember when you catch yourself trying to be perfect
- How to evaluate your capacity for whatever activity you’re trying to be perfect at – whether it’s work, cooking, parenting, or anything else
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Ready to join the ENOUGH program? Join the May 2019 ENOUGH program.
- If you want to start cultivating your ENOUGHness sign up HERE to get weekly SUNDAY LOVE + FRIDAY PODCAST and so much more…
- Download your free MINDSET PRACTICE workbook HERE (includes Feelings Menu)
- Michael Jordan: Maybe It’s My Fault Commercial
- Brené Brown: The Power of Vulnerability TED Talk
- Brené Brown: The Call to Courage on Netflix
- Calm the F*** Down (CTFD) Method
- Peter Walsh: Less is more
- My Interview with Peter Walsh
- Connect with me on Instagram!
- Join our Facebook community