A long time ago I eliminated the word “perfect” from my vocabulary. I had learned that perfection is the birthplace of shame, and that when we strive to be perfect we actually have to hustle harder while feeling worse. I planned to take “perfect” out of my vocabulary so I didn’t feel like I (or anyone I was talking to) needed to be it.
But I realized that I just replaced “perfect” with words like “productive” and “efficient” – which meant I was still trapped in the lie of perfection.
Why do we all want to be perfect?
Because we think that if we are, we will be safe. We will be accepted. We will be loved.
But that is the lie of perfection – because we never can be perfect (since we are messy, flawed human beings), we teach ourselves that we never can be safe, accepted, or loved as we are.
All of us (super successful people included) fail and make mistakes. We don’t have to be perfect to be amazing.
Today I’m talking about how perfectionism can sneak into our brains and why perfection is a lie. We’ll also dive into why all successful people have big failures and make mistakes yet continue to move forward. And I’ll share some beliefs that you can try on and rinse + repeat to help you let down your armor of perfectionism.
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- Why we all try so hard to be perfect
- How perfectionism functions as armor that keeps us from forming true connections
- Why the quest for perfection will only lead to hustling, dissatisfaction, and never feeling like we are enough
- Why we don’t have to be perfect to be amazing
- How to catch yourself when you’re trying to be perfect and some thoughts to hold onto instead
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Sign up here to receive Friday Podcast updates, Sunday Love letters, and Wisdom Wednesdays.
- Download your free Mindset Practice workbook HERE (includes Feelings Menu)
- Sign up for my WISDOM WEDNESDAYS email so you don’t miss an episode!
- Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
- What Simon Sinek revealed to me
- Grace & Frankie
- Abby Wambach
- My ENOUGH coaching group starts in February!
- Connect with me on Instagram!
- Join our Facebook community