Burnout is a really popular word these days and an even more popular worry. Parents worry that their kids are going to get burnt out on sports, and employees worry about feeling burnt out at work and needing to leave a perfectly good job.
I think these worries about burnout are more often based in fear, stories, and the past than anything wrong in the present. I think we often get burnt out by asking ourselves bad questions that allow our brain to dredge up lots of negative evidence about whatever we’re worrying about.
Burnout stems from the relentless pursuit of perfection and the mind drama that crops up when we don’t live up to our impossible expectations.
The relentless drive to attain some perfect version of ourselves, or some perfect life balance, is what leads to burnout. We constantly create new evidence for our brain to say, “See, you’re not living up to your own expectations.”
You have to let go of the need for perfection. With it, let go of your fear of burnout.
In this episode, I talk about the relationship between burnout + perfectionism. I get real about the fact that long days, challenging employees and bosses, and struggling to juggle it all are just a part of life. And I dive into how believing that we can be perfect is just a way for us to avoid some of life’s difficult realities.
Do you want to take what you’ve learned from this episode to the next level? Check out my ENOUGH coaching program. Together, we combine the concepts and lessons from this show with coaching to go way beyond intellectual learning. You’ll learn to silence critical internal voices that tell you you’re not enough, integrate self-love into your everyday life, and build resilience against shame and other difficult experiences. The next group begins in April 2019 – join me and create your most badass self!
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- Why I don’t love the term “burnout”
- How to ask yourself better questions about whether you’re burnt out or need to quit a job, activity, or other commitment
- How burnout is directly related to perfectionism + shame
- What promise you might be making to yourself in your attempts to be perfect
- Why hard days, difficulties, and tough relationships are a necessary part of life and any process
- What you can gain by letting go of perfectionism + your fear of burnout
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Ready to join the ENOUGH program? Join the waitlist for the April 2019 ENOUGH program.
- If you want to start cultivating your ENOUGHness sign up HERE to get weekly SUNDAY LOVE + FRIDAY PODCAST and so much more…
- Download your free MINDSET PRACTICE workbook HERE (includes Feelings Menu)
- Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Busy World by Cal Newport
- Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King on Netflix
- Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj on Netflix
- Brené Brown
- Byron Katie
- Success [DEEP DIVE]
- Connect with me on Instagram!
- Join our Facebook community