It’s a lie to believe you can somehow set up a life free of shit storms.
The storm is coming … are you prepared?
Shit storms are where growth occurs and transformation can happen.
Your brain tells you to play it safe … “No shit storms allowed.”
However, without them you’d stagnate, and you don’t want that.
You want growth, evolution, and transformation.
Instead of playing it safe and hiding from shit storms, prepare yourself.
7 ways to prepare yourself for a shit storm:
- Develop an ongoing relationship with yourself, one that’s kind and empathetic.
- Create self-awareness so you know your own stories – all of them. The ones that support you, as well as the ones that take you down. Know your triggers.
- Choose to LOVE yourself no matter what. Self-hatred is not allowed, nor are the silent beatings you’re so good at giving yourself. Instead, talk to yourself the way you talk to those you are most kind with.
- Cultivate relationships with people who are on your team and will walk with you when you fall down. They will cheer on both your successes as well as giving you a hand in those “fallen down” moments. They’ll shower you with love and compassion. They’ll call you out on the lies you fondle that only keep you in the swamp land. They’ll walk out of the swampland with you and with the fiercest love on this planet.
- Practice feeling your feelings. Feel these feelings in your body. Learn to identify a specific word with each feeling. Understand which story is creating this feeling. Listen to the message of that feeling. Lean into the feeling so you can move through it, instead of running from it.
- Take care of yourself. This isn’t the self-care of spas and baths. This is about sleeping so your body is rested and ready to head into the shit storm. It’s not about perfect sleep, it’s about getting sleep so you can function through the storm and your potential lack of sleep. Also, fuel your body with food that gives to you, not depletes you with brain fog and exhaustion. These are two important things to do before any shit storm even comes into sight – sleep well and eat well.
- Choose stories that help you move through the shit storms. Remind yourself that we all go through shit storms … and it’s okay because you’ll move through it. And my favorite is “of course this is happening and it will be okay.”
These seven elements will prepare you for any shit storm, help you to move through it and get on the other side so you can grow, evolve + transform.