I used to have a story about myself that I wasn’t a creative person. And while I got over that a while ago and have embraced my creativity, creativity isn’t always given the time + space it deserves. That’s why I want to talk to you about one of the most necessary parts of the creative process today: think time.
We all need time to think + be present with ourselves – no outside distractions.
I recently took my very first Think Week, something I’d heard that Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, and other super-successful (and usually super-wealthy) people do. I knew that taking this kind of time could be hugely beneficial for restoring my mind + capacity, but I didn’t think it was available to me.
I’ve realized now though that you don’t have to take an entire week of Think Time to get the benefits – you can create small pockets of time to be with yourself + get grounded throughout the day.
When you need some Think Time, take it! Close your email, put your phone down, and resist the temptation to buffer. Do something that allows you to sit with your own mind.
Today we’re talking all about Think Time and its role in not just the creative process, but in self-care. I’ll tell you about my journey with Think Time, how I realized that it was available to me, and some of the benefits I’ve seen from this practice already. We are taught that success comes from external validation – good grades, a great job, a “perfect” life – but when you ground yourself, you’ll realize that real contentment must come from knowing yourself inside + out.
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- What Think Time is and why it’s so valuable
- Why disconnecting from the internet and life’s little tasks can be so helpful for your creative brain
- How I learned that Think Time was available to me, even if I couldn’t escape to a cabin in the woods for a week like Bill Gates
- Why moving meditation and writing are also great ways to ground yourself and get some Think Time
- How to reconnect with yourself regularly throughout the day
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Sign up here to receive Friday Podcast updates, Sunday Love letters, and Wisdom Wednesdays.
- Download your free Mindset Practice workbook HERE (includes Feelings Menu)
- Sign up for my WISDOM WEDNESDAYS email so you don’t miss an episode!
- Carol Dweck on Why People Succeed
- Carol Dweck on Mindset
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World by Cal Newport
- Inside Bill’s Brain on Netflix
- Connect with me on Instagram!
- Join our Facebook community