When we set ourselves a goal, we usually want to fast-forward to the end of the process when we’ve already achieved it. That’s the fun part, right? We get to celebrate the journey, the hard work, and the success – but would the achievement really be worth celebrating if we didn’t actually go through the often slow, painstaking process of getting there?
Often, we’re more wrapped up in doing things so we can have the feeling + appearance of success. We wish a fairy godmother would appear and, bippity, boppity, boo – make our dreams come true (and allow us to skip the doubt, struggle, and fear that are part of the journey).
You can’t skip the process – and that’s a good thing. Learning to feel all of your feelings, to let go of other people’s control over you, and to stop self-sabotage are crucial parts of the journey.
These are things I practice with all of my clients. Many of us use other people’s external appearance of success as a weapon to discourage ourselves. They don’t even have to try very hard, and they’re successful. It’ll never be possible for me.
Success is messy. It requires perseverance + a commitment to telling yourself a different story.
Listen in as I talk about several of my clients and their experiences with finding success. I share some of the issues we worked through, including how they would often armor up, avoid courageous conversations, and self-sabotage. I also discuss why it’s important to be careful what evidence + stories you’re using to shape your idea of success, and why the journey is such an essential part of any achievement.
Do you want to take what you’ve learned from this episode to the next level? Check out my ENOUGH coaching program. Together, we combine the concepts and lessons from this show with coaching to go way beyond intellectual learning. You’ll learn to silence critical internal voices that tell you you’re not enough, integrate self-love into your everyday life, and build resilience against shame and other difficult experiences. The next group begins in April 2019 – join me and create your most badass self!
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- Why so many of us want a quick transformation, rather than slow, determined progress toward change
- The meaning of the term “duck syndrome” and how we use success as a weapon against ourselves
- Why shame is such a destructive + corrosive emotion and how I work with clients to unearth it
- How I help clients practice feeling all of their feelings – not just the good ones
- Why we often resort to armoring up + gladiating when we feel ashamed or vulnerable
- The importance of letting go of the power other people have over you
- How to manage your brain so you don’t sabotage yourself + your goals
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Ready to join the ENOUGH program? Join the waitlist for the April 2019 ENOUGH program.
- If you want to start cultivating your ENOUGHness sign up HERE to get weekly SUNDAY LOVE + FRIDAY PODCAST and so much more…
- Download your free MINDSET PRACTICE workbook HERE (includes Feelings Menu)
- Davis Aquamonsters
- My interview with Dr. David Hawkins on Recovery + Health
- My interview with Dr. David Hawkins on the Hidden Determinants of Human Behavior
- Brené Brown
- Duck syndrome and a culture of misery
- Bruce Springsteen – 2012 Keynote Speech at SXSW
- Connect with me on Instagram!
- Join our Facebook community