Many of the athletes I coach are scared of disappointment. They don’t want to try and fail or not show up as their best. And I talk about this a lot on the show; falling down and picking ourselves back up. I so deeply understand your fear of falling down, but I also know that overcoming obstacles is what makes you stronger in all areas of life.
My guest today is proof that hardship is worth enduring. He was willing to overcome disappointment and allow it to fuel him so he could achieve what he was working for. In his case, it was Paratriatholons and the Paralympics.
You might recognize him from an episode I interviewed him for years ago. Mark Barr has grown up quite a bit since then, and today, he has a 30-year long career as a high performing athlete and is a 3-time Paralympian. While his highlight reel is impressive, he has also endured a lot of heartache.
Despite the challenges he faced in his athletic career and personal life, he never quit. In fact, he says quitting is never an option. When he feels disappointed, he embraces it and lets it fuel his next achievement. Why? Because, he says, you need to experience the lows to appreciate the highs.
As you listen to my interview with Mark today, I want you to consider the obstacles in front of you and your fear of disappointment. You aren’t facing obstacles because you’re not good enough; you’re facing them because you’re human. I invite you to find inspiration in Mark’s story and really decide if you have the capacity to face your challenges. It doesn’t have to be overnight, but I promise you, it feels so much better when we don’t give up on ourselves.
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- The story of Mark’s career as a high-performing athlete.
- What it was like to train for the Paralympics.
- How he emotionally handles disappointment.
- How Mark is planning for the future.
- Why you can only control the controllables.
- How to look at your obstacles as opportunities.
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Mark Barr: Instagram | Team USA Bio
- My previous episode with Mark
- Evict the Squatters in Your Brain [DEEP DIVE]
- Get my on demand virtual workshop on Trusting Yourself!
- Sign up for my new course: How to Feel Grounded Confidence
- Sign up here to receive Friday Podcast updates, Sunday Love letters, and Wisdom Wednesdays.