We tend to think about our careers in a certain way. We imagine that we’ll have only one job title for most of our careers. We hope that we’ll do that one job one way for many years and then smoothly retire. But there are many other ways to think about careers and the way that they might evolve throughout our working lives.
Marci Alboher is an author, speaker, journalist, and coach who focuses on careers and workplace issues. She is the author of the book One Person/Multiple Careers: A New Model for Work/Life Success. She’s currently a vice president at Encore.org, a nonprofit dedicated to bridging divides, connecting across generations, and creating a better future together.
Marci has been on my show prior to this episode. She made me and my listeners think of jobs and careers in a different way as slasher careers. I am an example of a slasher career: radio talk show host/life coach/director of a youth sports team. Even when I was a college professor my title was full of slashes on the formal job description.
In this episode, which originally aired in 2013, Marci returned to talk about a new way to think about careers in the second half of our lives. A change in career midway through life may have come about due to a forced layoff, reentering the workforce after caring for your family, or a deep desire to do something different. Either way, there are many options and ways to plan an “encore career.”
I invite you to listen to find out what could be possible for you. Join us as Marci and I discuss encore careers, retirement, volunteering, and age discrimination. You’ll learn what mindset you need to have a successful encore career, tips for networking, and hear the story of one man’s encore career in his 70’s.
Your voice matters! Make sure you subscribe to the show and leave a review in Apple Podcasts. Tell me what you love and why you’re here and maybe you’ll hear a shoutout to YOU in a future episode!
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- What an encore career is and who it is for
- The reasons you might have an encore career
- How retirement is different than it used to be
- How to plan a career transition or re-entry
- What is possible: the mindset of those who created an encore career
- What to look for when pursuing volunteer opportunities
- Stories of people’s successful encore careers
- How age discrimination happens at work and in hiring
- How to transfer your current skills to a new job
- How to find a mentor
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- More interviews with Marci Alboher
- Items mentioned in the interview
- Sign up here to receive Friday Podcast updates, Sunday Love letters, and Wisdom Wednesdays.