Doing meaningful work is something that is really important to me. We all have the opportunity to do meaningful work, but often when we search for meaning and purpose, we can create magical thinking and dream of magical, happy endings.
Magical thinking appears in many of the good intentions we have, but it doesn’t always serve us. When you get clear on what you really want, you notice that meaning and purpose can come from the small, unordinary moments. We need to let go of the Hollywood endings and stealth expectations we hold.
Brené Brown describes a stealth expectation as “A desire or expectation that exists outside our awareness and typically includes a dangerous combination of fear and magical thinking.” They are common among us all, but they can be problematic because they take away our ability to see the meaning and purpose that already exists for us.
I invite you to ask yourself, where are those small moments in your life where you already have meaning and purpose? Where can you give yourself and others the grace to not be perfect or have the same standards as you, and let go of the stealth expectations you hold?
In this episode, I’m sharing what meaningful work really looks like and the importance of letting go of the magical endings and happily-ever-afters. I’m sharing some examples of magical thinking, the problem with stealth expectations, and where you can really find purpose and meaning in your life.
Your voice matters! Make sure you subscribe to the show and leave a review in Apple Podcasts. Tell me what you love and why you’re here and maybe you’ll hear a shoutout to YOU in a future episode!
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- How to let go of magical endings in your own life.
- Some examples of how magical thinking and endings may show up for you.
- The problem with resisting something you need to learn.
- How stealth expectations might show up in your life.
- The importance of letting go of magical thinking.
- How to find meaning and purpose from the small moments and why doing so is important.
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Make sure you subscribe to the show and leave a review in Apple Podcasts
- Sign up here to receive Friday Podcast updates and Sunday Love letters.
- The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World by Melinda Gates
- Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators by Ronan Farrow
- Brené Brown