I know my values well and I use them to guide me in my life whether it’s as a parent, in my business, or as a leader. The best part of this is that it helps make decision making much easier and clearer. I waste less brain juice and don’t spend time questioning those decisions after the fact.
Do you know what your values are? Learning what they are and keeping them in mind can help guide you in all parts of your life. In this episode from 2014, executive coach Michele Woodward and I discuss how values can be a guiding light in your life and career.
When you know what is important to you, you can live aligned with your values. Not only that, your life gets a whole lot easier. Decisions get a lot more fun because you have more clarity, less scarcity, and less judgement.
We also answer a listener question that launches a discussion about values in the workplace. We talk about workplace culture, whether harmony in the workplace is essential, and even how to leave your job while honoring your values.
After you listen, I invite you to sit down and write down what your values are. (Or, head to the show notes for a link to the values assessment that I mentioned in the episode.) Write about how you are living your life that supports your values, and what areas you aren’t supporting enough. Let this be a living document. Keep referencing it to help you make decisions and support yourself.
Your voice matters! Make sure you subscribe to the show and leave a review in Apple Podcasts. Tell me what you love and why you’re here and maybe you’ll hear a shoutout to YOU in a future episode!
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- How to get to know your values
- The importance of values and how they can be your guiding light
- How to actually live your values, and how much easier life gets when you do
- How your values show up at work
- A story about staying in a job when you don’t want to
- Leaving a job while honoring yourself and those around you
- How a lantern is a metaphor for values
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Michele Woodward’s website
- uPenn VIA questionnaire
- You have spinach in your teeth
- Harvard Business Review: How to deal with a mean colleague
- Get my new DIY workshop: Becoming ENOUGH
- Sign up here to receive Friday Podcast updates, Sunday Love letters, and Wisdom Wednesdays.