Years ago I attended a women’s conference hosted by the governor of my state. During one of the panels I was attending, the speakers mentioned that they would tell college graduates that the most important thing they could ever do is become a lifelong learner.
I used to think the opposite was true. When I was in college I would think about how once I graduated I’d get to stop learning, reading, and studying. I thought I could just get to work, get paid, and that I would be in the promised land. However, things didn’t go that way at all. My life has been full of learning and exploration.
My friend Hiro Boga is a business strategist, teacher, adviser, and mentor. In this episode, which was originally published in 2016, Hiro Boga and I talk about lifelong learning. We discuss curiosity, structure and stability, fear, and more.
“That notion that learning is separate from the rest of our lives, that it’s a thing that we enter into that has a beginning, middle, and end, is such a peculiar notion because it doesn’t match any reality,” says Hiro in this episode.
As you listen to this interview I invite you to open up to the concept of lifelong learning, especially in areas of your life where you feel some resistance. Hiro says that learning is an ongoing conversation between yourself and your world. Keep the conversation flowing.
Your voice matters! Make sure you subscribe to the show and leave a review in Apple Podcasts. Tell me what you love and why you’re here and maybe you’ll hear a shoutout to YOU in a future episode!
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- Whether you should pay attention to the constant adaptation
- How to negotiate between the need for stability + structure
- How fear gets in your way
- How to bridge the gap
- Why we think about learning as a chore
- How to think about learning as an expression of curiosity
- How to integrate this into your life
- Why being a slow learner is not a bad thing
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Hiro’s website
- Previous shows with Hiro
- A Sovereignty Story by Hiro Boga
- Discover How To Rule Your World From the Inside Out with Hiro Boga
- Sign up here to receive Friday Podcast updates, Sunday Love letters, and Wisdom Wednesdays.