Right now in my state, people are having a civil outcry about being forced to wear masks. And I get it, they’re hot. They add more laundry to my workload and require me to remember to bring them everywhere. I don’t like wearing masks and I’m not a fan of them.
But, my friends, I do wear them. And the reason I choose to wear them wherever and whenever we’re supposed to is because I’m willing to try and see if this keeps us safer. My why is that stopping germs from spreading is worthwhile.
You see, we lose motivation in all areas of our lives when we don’t have a strong enough why. As high achievers, we use stress to drive us forward but that isn’t sustainable and usually results in burnout. Or the stress and shame we’re driving motivation from eventually makes us want to quit and beat ourselves up for it.
Your why right now doesn’t have to be your why forever. We don’t know if wearing masks will actually make us safer, but I’m willing to give it a try. What would happen if you found a why and tested it to see if it works for you?
In today’s episode, I’m sharing how us over achievers can sustain our motivation from a place of value instead of a place of shame. When I face obstacles, as I have in the past few months, I remember my why and that motivates me to keep going. Join me in a discussion about how to choose your why, make sure you like it, and test it out.
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- Why being clear takes courage.
- How to unpack your resistance to wearing a mask.
- Why we often lose our motivation.
- How to find your why and test it out.
- Why perception is a shame trigger.
- Why managing my mindset has been fundamental in this challenging time.
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- The Semiotics of Face Masks – blog post by Seth Godin
- Dare to Lead by Brené Brown
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Start with Why by Simon Sinek
- The Good Place – tv show
- Manage your mind and transform your life with my Mindset Journals!
- Grab your spot in my live virtual workshop on Trusting Yourself!
- Sign up for my new course: How to Feel Grounded Confidence
- Sign up here to receive Friday Podcast updates, Sunday Love letters, and Wisdom Wednesdays.