We strive to be “happy” but we have these darn negative emotions in our lives. Some of us try to run from them via food, alcohol/drugs, sex, work, or exercise.
Have you ever thought about your feelings as a messenger who is here to tell you something important?
Karla McLaren is an award-winning author, researcher, and pioneering educator whose empathic approach to emotions revalues even the most “negative” emotions, and opens startling new pathways into the depths of the soul. She is the author of The Art of Empathy: A Complete Guide to Life’s Most Essential Skill (2013), and The Language of Emotions: What Your Feelings Are Trying to Tell You (2010).
“We end up growing up with no emotional skills,” says Karla in this episode.
Karla has taught at such venues as the University of San Francisco, and the Omega Institute. In this episode, which originally aired in 2014, Karla and I discuss what your feelings are trying to tell you.
Your voice matters! Make sure you subscribe to the show and leave a review in Apple Podcasts. Tell me what you love and why you’re here and maybe you’ll hear a shoutout to YOU in a future episode!
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- Why we need to listen to our emotions
- Why negative emotions are not bad things
- What we can learn from them
- Questions to ask your feelings
- How we learn about our emotions
- The Trauma Olympics
- What your emotions are telling you
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Karla’s website
- The Language of Emotions
- The Art of Empathy
- Antonio Damsio’s TED talk
- Sign up here to receive Friday Podcast updates, Sunday Love letters, and Wisdom Wednesdays.