We often tell ourselves that once we have more time we’ll work towards that goal, read that book, or take steps toward being the person we want to be. But we can’t just magically add hours to our days so we end up arguing with reality and being upset that we don’t have more time.
The other story that tends to get in our way is this one: “Once I ____, I’ll have more time.” We fill it in with things like “once I finish school,” “once I get that job,” or “once my kids grow up.” What we’re really doing when we say those things is deflecting from living our lives and missing out so much of the time that we do have.
In this episode, which originally aired in 2014, Jill Farmer joined me to talk about time. Jill has been called a “brilliant time optimizer and life maximizer.” She is a former Emmy Award-winning investigative TV reporter who is now a master certified coach. Jill helps people get epic things accomplished in far less time. She is also the author of There’s Not Enough Time… and Other Lies We Tell Ourselves, which debuted as a Top-10 bestseller in the Time Management category on Amazon.
In our conversation, Jill and I talk about changing our mindset to and relationship with time in order to make more out of the time we have. We talk about busyness and why it’s a choice, how to create manageable and effective to-do lists, where we need to be “rooted” from to take productive action, and more.
If you’ve ever felt like you don’t have enough time, I invite you to listen in and apply some of these concepts to your life. You might find that making some simple pivots and mindset changes can help you use your time in a way that allows you to live your life in line with your values and with less stress and overwhelm.
Your voice matters! Make sure you subscribe to the show and leave a review in Apple Podcasts. Tell me what you love and why you’re here and maybe you’ll hear a shoutout to YOU in a future episode!
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- Why we believe that “there’s not enough time”
- What we can tell ourselves so we don’t trigger overwhelm
- How to embrace time and stop feeling scarcity around it
- Why busyness is a choice + what to do about it
- How to create effective and productive to-do lists
- How to say “no”
- Where you need to be rooted to be able to take action
- Two takeaways to change your relationship with time
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Jill Farmer’s website
- Jill’s book Not Enough Time… and Other Lies We Tell Ourselves
- Interview with Carol Dweck on growth mindset
- Interview with Fabeku on fear + love + certainty
- Sign up here to receive Friday Podcast updates, Sunday Love letters, and Wisdom Wednesdays.