Facing big problems is scary. Facing the world’s problems is scarier. It can stop us in our tracks and make us hide away. In this episode we’re talking about how we can stay present and take action while also taking care of ourselves.
My guest co-host in this episode, which originally aired 2015, is Jen Louden. She helped start the self-care movement with her first book, The Woman’s Comfort Book. She’s written seven more books, including The Woman’s Retreat Book and The Life Organizer that have inspired more than a million women in 9 languages. Many of you may have seen Jen when she sat on Oprah’s couch talking about the power of retreats.
You want to help others. You want to make the world a better place. But where do you start? To make your service efforts sustainable you should look for things that fit into your life, that don’t drain you, and that aren’t attached to a story of what you should be doing. And be careful not to shy away from the acts of service that you could be doing because you don’t think they are big enough, sexy enough, or exciting enough.
One of the world’s problems that Jen cares most about is climate change. In this episode she offers valuable critiques of the personal growth industry and its story of abundance and consumption. She and I evaluate how leaders could use their platforms to help others.
Listen in to learn about what you can do for your community and the world, what’s getting in your way of doing those things, how not to be a martyr, and how to take care of yourself so that your efforts can be sustainable.
Your voice matters! Make sure you subscribe to the show and leave a review in Apple Podcasts. Tell me what you love and why you’re here and maybe you’ll hear a shoutout to YOU in a future episode!
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- Different ways to help the hurt
- Sexy is misleading + stops people from serving
- Why we discount our gifts
- Finding balance between martyrdom and selfishness
- How to make your efforts sustainable
- How to get to the bottom of WHY you do your work
- What compassion fatigue is
- How to set and hold boundaries
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Jen’s books (including her latest, Why Bother?)
- Brigid Schulte’s NYT’s article
- Interview with Brigid Schulte
- The Green Boat by Mary Pipher
- This Changes Everything by Naomi Klein
- Interview with Simon Sinek and discovering your WHY
- You can connect with Jen Louden here
- Sign up here to receive Friday Podcast updates, Sunday Love letters, and Wisdom Wednesdays.