We learn so much from other people’s stories. These are the windows of possibility that enable us to envision what we could have in our own lives. And there are also the highlight reels.
Since I got back from my time off, everyone has been asking how my vacation was. I could say that it was great, it was lovely to get away and it was a wonderful vacation. And that would be true, but it would be part truth.
There were beautiful things about my vacation, but there were also challenging things. There was also tension. So often, we compare our own lives to other people’s highlight reels, not realizing that there are always other things going on behind the scenes.
My invitation for you this week is as you go through whatever you are consuming, whether it’s social media, your friends’ experiences, or stories you’re telling yourself about other people, know that there’s a highlight reel, and there are things going on behind the scenes. Know that there will be beauty and there will be messes, and it is all part of the experience.
Listen in this week as I talk more about the concept of the highlight reel and show you where it might show up in your life. I’m showing you why we need to stop judging ourselves and comparing our lives to what we see in other people’s highlight reels, and why what you see in the highlight reels is always only part of the story.
Your voice matters! Make sure you subscribe to the show and leave a review in Apple Podcasts. Tell me what you love and why you’re here and maybe you’ll hear a shoutout to YOU in a future episode!
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- A boundary I set before I went on holiday.
- Why we always want to know we’re not alone in our struggles.
- How to create space for the uncomfortable and trust that you will figure things out.
- Where your thinking might be setting you up to fail.
- How to live the life you desire.
- Why what some people might think is magical and amazing might not be your experience.
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Make sure you subscribe to the show and leave a review in Apple Podcasts
- Sign up here to receive Friday Podcast updates and Sunday Love letters.
- Suitcase + Boundaries + Tension
- I Guess I Haven’t Learned That Yet: Discovering New Ways of Living When the Old Ways Stop Working by Shauna Niequist