In this interview I talk with author Emily Esfahani Smith about meaning. In her book The Power of Meaning: Finding Fulfillment in a World Obsessed with Happiness, Emily argues that the unending pursuit of happiness has distracted us from what really matters – the search for meaning in life.
In this conversation Emily and I talk about finding meaning in your life and why finding meaning doesn’t have to be intimidating.
We also discuss the stories that we tell ourselves, and the negative story bias that we have as a result of evolution. How can you shift that bias and see the positive stories more often? Developing meaning and fulfillment in your life is a great start.
Finding meaning in life goes deeper than general well-being and happiness. Instead, moving through adversity can help us understand what is important to us. And in turn, knowing what matters to us in life makes overcoming obstacles easier.
Listen in to learn about all of the factors that go into finding meaning in your life, how to own your whole story, and how to find beauty in the mess.
Your voice matters! Make sure you subscribe to the show and leave a review in Apple Podcasts. Tell me what you love and why you’re here and maybe you’ll hear a shoutout to YOU in a future episode!
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- Where to find meaning in your life
- The psychology of well-being
- How to use gratitude to shift your focus
- Where shit storms and difficult moments fit into a life of well-being
- How having meaning in your life can help you overcome adversity
- How to find meaning at work
- The difference between meaning and purpose
- Why we have a negative story bias
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Emily’s website
- Emily’s book: The Power of Meaning
- Get my new DIY workshop: Becoming ENOUGH
- Sign up here to receive Friday Podcast updates, Sunday Love letters, and Wisdom Wednesdays.