Although we all want to connect with other people and to feel like we belong, this looks different for everybody: maybe you’re an introvert and prefer connecting with a small group in an intimate setting. Or, maybe you’re an extrovert and you love bouncing around a party, having conversations with all sorts of people. You might fall somewhere in between, depending on the day.
Regardless of the size of your ideal circle, the key to building and maintaining relationships that make us feel connected + safe is having courageous conversations.
Courageous conversations mean emotional risk: they require authenticity + vulnerability. But they allow us to deepen our closest relationships and gently let go of relationships that aren’t the right fit.
We have to have these conversations at work, at home, and with ourselves. You have to be willing to give yourself permission to want connection and belonging, and you have to be your own best friend as you grow into someone who is willing to do the work it takes to build a life full of great relationships.
Having courageous conversations isn’t all sunshine and rainbows – but they will help you surround yourself with people that help you foster a true sense of connection + belonging.
Listen to this week’s episode as I talk about the importance of having courageous conversations with all of the people in our lives. These discussions aren’t easy, but they make space in our lives for people we can trust, build community with, and seek advice from.
Do you want to take what you’ve learned from this episode to the next level? Check out my ENOUGH coaching program. Together, we combine the concepts and lessons from this show with coaching to go way beyond intellectual learning. You’ll learn to silence critical internal voices that tell you you’re not enough, integrate self-love into your everyday life, and build resilience against shame and other difficult experiences. You’ll be notified when the next ENOUGH group opens – join me and create your most badass self!
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- How I realized that I often play small when sharing things that I really love
- The ways our silent expectations and weird “rules” for friendship can prevent us from having honest conversations and connections
- Why it’s important not to automatically make other people’s actions mean something about you
- How letting go of relationships that aren’t a good fit is best for both parties
- Why we sometimes surround ourselves with people we don’t belong or feel safe with
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Ready to join the ENOUGH program? Join the waitlist to the ENOUGH program.
- If you want to start cultivating your ENOUGHness sign up HERE to get weekly SUNDAY LOVE + FRIDAY PODCAST and so much more…
- Download your free MINDSET PRACTICE workbook HERE (includes Feelings Menu)
- The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World by Desmond Tutu, The Dalai Lama, and Douglas Abrams
- Bruce Springsteen – 2012 Keynote Speech at SXSW
- Two types of focus [DEEP DIVE]
- Connect with me on Instagram!
- Join our Facebook community