Small shifts in language can make a big difference in our mindset, but it can be so easy to fall into using words that trap us in our negative feelings. Our environment, culture, and inner critic all influence the words we use to describe ourselves and our emotions.
Choosing your words carefully allows you to take back control over how you define your emotions + beliefs. Instead of being dictated by negative language, consciously using positive words to describe yourself + your boundaries can help you reframe difficult situations.
Many of my clients come up against this issue with language. They say that they’re tired of being the “bad guy” at work or at home and that they don’t want to be the enforcer of boundaries anymore.
But boundaries aren’t going anywhere – they show up in every aspect of life. Instead, focus on what you can control: the words you choose to describe + understand your boundaries and others’. By choosing to reframe these issues with words that are more empowering, you can examine your boundaries and emotions from a new angle.
Choosing your words carefully also gives you the opportunity to practice being your own best friend.
A best friend would acknowledge your weaknesses and mistakes, but love you anyway. That’s what you can (and should) give yourself as you work to redefine + uphold your boundaries, to the benefit of yourself and everyone around you.
Listen in below as I share how my clients and I have worked on using more empowering language to reframe issues that range from work conflicts, familial boundaries, and self-perception.
Do you want to take what you’ve learned from this episode to the next level? Check out my ENOUGH coaching program. Together, we combine the concepts and lessons from this show with coaching to go way beyond intellectual learning. You’ll learn to silence critical internal voices that tell you you’re not enough, integrate self-love into your everyday life, and build resilience against shame and other difficult experiences. You’ll be notified when the next ENOUGH group opens – join me and create your most badass self!
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- What I mean by “choosing your words carefully”
- A story from one of my clients that demonstrates how our language affects how we feel about boundaries
- How choosing your words carefully influences your ability to be your own best friend
- Why your language has an impact on your capacity for effective leadership
- Two ways to reframe how you feel about setting + maintaining boundaries
- How to notice whether your word choice is making you feel empowered + positive or shamed + restricted
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- Ready to join the ENOUGH program? Join the waitlist to the ENOUGH program.
- If you want to start cultivating your ENOUGHness sign up HERE to get weekly SUNDAY LOVE + FRIDAY PODCAST and so much more…
- Download your free MINDSET PRACTICE workbook HERE (includes Feelings Menu)
- The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World by Desmond Tutu, The Dalai Lama, and Douglas Abrams
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck
- Connect with me on Instagram!
- Join our Facebook community