Knowing how to manage your time is an important skill no matter what you do, but I’ve found traditional “time-blocking” time management techniques to be totally the wrong fit for me.
I prefer to think about, and check in with, my capacity and my energy.
Energy is exactly what it sounds like – all your energy to do the things you have to do in life, like work, spend time with friends and family, take care of yourself, etcetera. And capacity is the cup that holds it all.
I find it especially helpful to think of my capacity as a cup because when I feel like I’m running low on energy, I can take time to fill my cup back up by checking up on my sleeping habits, healthy eating, and leisure time. And I can have different sized cups – different capacities – for different areas.
By building your capacity, you can better utilize your energy. This will make you more efficient with your time without having to “block out” time for every activity.
Today I’m breaking down my model of capacity + energy as a form of time management. Instead of feeling like a failure whenever I don’t accomplish whatever my time block says, I keep track of my capacity + energy for coaching, self-care, swimming, and everything else. I talk about how to figure out what your capacity is, why you should accept where you are right now, and how to sustainably build your capacity over time. And I also share some of my experiences with feeling like I’m going to break my capacity, and what to do when that happens.
Your voice matters! Make sure you subscribe to the show and leave a review in iTunes. Tell me what you love and why you’re here and maybe you’ll hear a shoutout to YOU in a future episode!
WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- What I mean by capacity + energy
- Why time blocking isn’t always the best approach to time management
- How to tell how much capacity you have for a given activity
- Why you should keep an eye on which activities give you more energy and which drain you
- How to build your capacity up over time
RESOURCES FOR YOU
- If you want to start cultivating your ENOUGHness sign up HERE to get weekly SUNDAY LOVE + FRIDAY PODCAST and so much more…
- Download your free MINDSET PRACTICE workbook HERE (includes Feelings Menu)
- Sign up for my WISDOM WEDNESDAY email so you don’t miss an episode!
- 40oz Hydro Flask
- Connect with me on Instagram!
- Join our Facebook community