There’s a stirring inside of you.
You know it’s a painful feeling.
You don’t want to feel it.
You’ve tried to numb it, and have run out of tv shows to watch.
You’ve tried to outrun it, but that’s hard to do when you’re sheltered at home.
You’ve tried to busy yourself, but there’s only so much decluttering you can do.
Damn, the feeling is still stirring inside of you!
It’s time to learn how to feel your feelings so you can move through them.
Feeling painful feelings is uncomfortable.
But moving through your feelings is your way out of the discomfort of painful feelings.
This allows for an internal release and space to actually feel better.
Moving through your feelings is an effective solution unlike not feeling, numbing, outrunning or busying yourself.
The way out of your painful feelings is to feel your feelings.
I realize that’s not what you wanted to learn.
You just want the feeling to go away.
That’s not how it works.
My friend, the pathway to move through any painful feeling (FEAR, SHAME, SADNESS, OVERWHELM, ANXIETY, DESPAIR) is to:
- Give yourself permission to feel your feelings.
- Give yourself space to feel the emotion in your body, all of it.
- Acknowledge what you are feeling to yourself (trust me, it won’t be here forever).
- Be with the feeling.
- Now that this feeling has your full attention, it will release you.
- Now you can explore the story that’s triggered this feeling.
- Reflect on the story by asking if it’s absolutely true?
- What do you know is true today?
- Remember this truth today.
- Notice how you feel better.
Remember to move through your feelings, you must start with feeling the feeling.
Give it space to explore the feeling inside of you.
This does not mean you get to act out the feeling, this is an internal experience.
When your feeling has your attention it will release you allowing the space for you to feel better.
Much love and kindness to you,
P.S. The Mindset Journal is a great container to practice feeling your feelings and moving through. It gives you the space to go inward and move through your feelings. CLICK HERE to get your journal.